Have questions about stump grinding? Call us at
WHY REMOVE A TREE STUMP?
If you've had a tree removed, you'll usually be left to deal with the tree stump. So what should you do - leave that ugly stump or have it safely removed with our stump grinding service?
Most people remove a tree stump because they don't like the look of it and it gets in the way. But there are also health and safety issues to consider. Ask yourself these questions to help decide whether stump removal is right for you.
- Is the stump in a location where it will be a safety hazard or obstacle that could injure someone?
- Do you want to plant a new tree in or near the same location? If so, you'll have to remove the stump first.
- Are there destructive carpenter ants and/or termites in the area? They're attracted to dead tree stumps; the only way to prevent this is to grind the stump away.
- Do you have nearby plants or trees that you want to keep healthy? As the stump slowly rots away, harmful fungi move in and could spread disease to nearby trees or plants - stump grinding eliminates this problem.
- Do you want to prevent the tree from growing back? Removing the stump is the only way to guarantee this.
Still not sure? Give us a call at 571-244-3838 and one of our experienced tree care consultants will be happy to evaluate your tree stump and give you an estimate for removal.
HOW DO YOU REMOVE TREE STUMPS?
Stump removal can be an almost impossible task unless you have the right equipment. Basically, there are two ways to remove a tree stump:
- Use an excavator – This is a quick way to remove a tree stump but it will cause major damage to a large area around the stump and can be very expensive. Still, this can be a good option if you have a lot of stumps to remove and you plan on doing major landscaping work afterwards.
- Use a stump grinder – This is the way we remove tree stumps at Green Vista. It doesn't cause damage to your property, the tree won't grow back, we can get a stump grinder into nearly any location, and you’ll be left with only a small area to patch or sod. This isn’t usually a DIY project so consult with a professional if you're thinking of tackling it yourself.
ABOUT TREE STUMP GRINDING & REMOVAL
Whenever we remove a tree we also offer you the option to grind away the tree stump. This is a separate line item charge on your proposal - it is not included in "tree removal".
HOW DOES STUMP GRINDING WORK?
A stump grinder is a piece of heavy equipment with a spinning carbide-tipped steel wheel on the front. We lower the wheel onto the edge of the stump and move it from side to side as it spins, grinding deeper into the stump with each movement. Eventually, the whole tree stump is ground up into small wood chips, including the main roots below the stump.
We grind 6-8" below grade and rake the stump mulch (the wood chips from grinding the stump) back into the hole and into a neat pile. The stump mulch is left on site (as is the industry standard).
For more details, see our stump grinding FAQs >>
Note that we do not provide topsoil, sod, grass seed or planting services.
BEFORE WE START
We must call 811 miss utility before we grind a tree stump - it's the law. We handle all calls and coordinate and schedule the work upon clearance. You don't need to worry about anything, we take care of everything. But please be aware that we cannot control the timing of when we'll receive clearance so there may be a delay before we can start work.
Not sure what to expect when you hire Green Vista Tree Service to remove / grind tree stumps?
SOME OF OUR STUMP GRINDING PROJECTS
HARD AT WORK IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA
WHAT OUR CLIENTS SAY
"Quick and good work. The equipment used was heavy duty and the tree stump was demolished in about 10 seconds."
"The only thing left was sawdust. Highly recommend this crew. They are terrific."
Thinking about having your tree stumps removed?
Call us at
OUR SERVICE AREA
Dunn Loring, VA
Fairfax Station, VA
Falls Church, VA
Fort Belvoir, VA
Great Falls, VA